If you’re sitting at your desk reading this, that means you’re not at the new Target at 14th and Irving streets, Northwest. And that makes me a little sad, because as of 8 AM today it’s open for business—and judging from a VIP sneak peak I got Tuesday night, it’s pretty awesome.
Okay, to be honest, it’s actually not that different from any other Target—but it is right on Metro’s Green and Yellow line, which makes it much easier for anyone without a car (i.e., me) to get to aisles of cute housewares and Jovovich-Hawk clothes. Here’s the lay of the land from the opening reception the store threw last night (plus a photo slide show).
Want to see more photos from Washington events and parties? Click here for Washingtonian.com's photo slideshow page.• The store has two floors, with roomy elevators and escalators that have those great little tracks for carts so they can travel up the incline next to you, like at Ikea.
• A Starbucks is inside, if you’re craving a $5 latte while you browse the Simply Shabby Chic collection.
• There’s both a Target pharmacy and a Target photo center—very nice.
• The grocery selection is decent. It’s no Wegmans, but you can find the basics (plus wine—always a bonus).
• Women’s clothing is on the first floor, right where you walk in; women’s shoes are on the second floor, farthest from the entrance. That was one smart layout designer.
• The final Target touch: Red credit-card machines with red pens.
At Tuesday night’s event, there were also tables of food (mmm, mini-burgers) and bars lining the main aisles serving cosmos out of bull’s-eye-emblazoned martini glasses. Sadly, that will not be an everyday thing.
Target (3100 14th St., NW; 202-777-3773) is open Monday through Saturday 8 AM to 10 PM, Sunday 8 AM to 9 PM. The pharmacy is open Monday through Friday 9 to 9, Saturday and Sunday 9 to 6.