There are a number of new restaurants opening along 14th Street in the coming months. Among them is Drafting Table, the new project from Aaron Gordon—owner of Rabbit, Red Velvet Cupcakery, and Tangysweet frozen yogurt shop. Due to open in late September, it will “offer a rotating list of 10 to 15 eclectic dishes,” from chef Ciji Wagner—an alum of Rabbit and Red Velvet—according to press materials sent out yesterday. Here are some other things you can expect.
1) Beer: There will be 15 on draft and 20 bottles and cans. Brews on offer will come from places breweries such as Guinness, Brooklyn Lager, Anchor Steam, Castle Lager, Red Stripe, Pilsner Urquell, Heineken, Stella Artois, Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgium Style IPA, Dale’s Pale Ale, Stone IPA, and Carlsberg.
2) Wines from all over: Sommelier Brian Murphy (Jaleo, Black’s) consulted on the wine list, helping Gordon choose a selection of both old- and new-world vinos. By-the-glass options range from $7 to $12; bottles will go for between $20 and $50.
3) A design-studio vibe: Drafting Table co-owner Andrew Christenberry—a furniture-builder and designer—worked with Gordon on the space. To create a conversational atmosphere “where customers could discuss ideas over a pint of beer,” the two friends crafted the bar and dining rooms tables from reclaimed architectural work surfaces, and decorated the walls with architectural blueprints and vintage drawings of DC landmarks.
4) Seasonally changing dishes: These will include braised brisket with braised vegetables in red-wine gravy; kaya toast with coconut jam, a fried egg, and soy broth; duck confit with grilled radicchio, caramelized shallots, grapes, and red-wine jus; fish and chips with tartar sauce and savory lemon curd; fries with homemade ketchup, chipotle mustard, aïoli, and peanut sauce; a burger with crispy blue cheese, apricot chutney, and onion jam; and meatloaf with homemade ketchup, mashed potatoes, and sautéed greens. Food menu prices start at $9 and top out at $19.
5) Cocktails from $6 to $10: Murphy is also consulting on a cocktail program designed to pair with seasonal dishes. Among the signature drink will be riffs on classics such as Old Fashioneds, margaritas, and Dark and Stormies.
Drafting Table. 1529 14th St., NW. Dining room hours: Monday to Thursday 5 to midnight; Friday 4 PM to 1 AM, Saturday 8 to midnight; Sunday 8 to 11. Bar hours: Monday to Thursday 4 PM to 1 AM, Friday 4 PM to 2 AM, Saturday 10 AM to 2 AM, Sunday 10 AM to midnight.