Furnishings in a small space have to be compact but comfortable, with slim profiles and multiple uses. Here are a few of our favorite picks from local retailers and designers:
1. “Huxley” secretary at Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams ($3,870)
Desk, drawers,and shelving all in one- a handsome focal point for a little living area.
2. “Scala” Chippendale mirror at Lori Graham Home ($4,200 and up)
DC designer Lori Graham uses big mirrors in small spaces to enlarge rooms visually.
3. “Butler” storage platform bed at Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams ($4,100 and up)
The mattress platform lifts up like a lid, revealing 22 cubic feet of storage space.
4. “Elixir” minibar at CB2 ($299)
The top of the slim end table folds down on both sides to reveal a bar; the foldouts also provide shelves for glasses.
5. Midnight-blue dhurrie ottoman at wisteria.com ($799)
Local designer Angela Healy loves this ottoman because it supplies a burst of color and can serve as extra seating.
6. “Pratt” table at Room & Board (Price varies by dimension)
Dining table, kitchen island, console table- you can customize this into whatever you need it to be.
7. “Janson” striped stool at claytongrayhome.com ($1,210)
Small in size but big in personality, it can be used as a stool, an end table, or both.
8. “Hannah” sleeper sofa by American Leather at Urban Country ($2,699 and up)
Encloses your choice of mattress, including Tempur-Pedic; comes in a variety of colors.