You can now take your furry pal on Amtrak. (Finally!) But before you start packing up Fido’s travel bag, review these rules for bringing pets on the train:
- For $25, pets can ride on most Northeast Regional and Downeaster routes plus some Carolinian and Palmetto trains between DC and New York.
- Only dogs and cats are welcome, but Amtrak doesn’t rule out allowing other pets someday.
- Animals must be 20 pounds or less and can’t travel more than seven hours at a time.
- They need to fit into enclosed carriers stowable under seats.
- Owners must sign a waiver certifying the pets are healthy, nonaggressive, and up to date on vaccines.
This article appears in our January 2016 issue of Washingtonian.