1. Tie-front flats, $148 at J. Crew.
2. A water-resistant blanket in preppy plaid ($89 at Mark & Graham) keeps derrières dry and the party going longer.
3. A folding knife ($15 at opinel-usa.com) does double duty sawing ciabatta and spreading jam but closes easily to keep accidents at bay.
4. Melamine bowls ($3 each) from Target and enamelware plates ($12 each) and cups ($8 each) from Salt & Sundry are a classy alternative to Tupperware.
5. Keep lemonade icy in a vintage-inspired thermos ($40 at stanley-pmi.com).
6. “Frankie” sunglasses, $118 at J.Crew.
7. Tote your spread in a classic style ($50 at Dean & DeLuca).
8. Turn a meal into an event with bocce ball ($150 for the set at Crate & Barrel) and flower identification—National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers (upper left) is $17 at Amazon.
9. Ditch environmentally unfriendly paper for washable cotton in a perfectly Brady Bunch gingham ($20 for four at Pier 1 Imports).
Food styling by Frederique Stephanie
Photograph by Jeff Elkins
This article appears in the May 2017 issue of Washingtonian.