About Washingtonian Today
Washingtonian Today is not just another political news roundup. Instead, this daily morning brief provides local context on national news, catches you up on what’s happening at Washingtonian, points you toward super duper awesome things to do around town, and lets you in on some special events going on in-house. Sign up here to receive Washingtonian Today in your inbox every morning.
Happy Election Day! Here are some logistics you should know. Need help finding your polling place? Here’s a nifty locator. Need a ride? Uber and Lyft are discounting services today if you use the app to go vote. Have problems or questions about voting? Call Common Cause at 866-OUR-VOTE or text “OUR VOTE” to 97779. Hungry after? Check out our midterm party guide.
Now get out there and vote. Sean Spicer wants you to go, too, and he’s doing that by showing a nonconforming Alexandria “I voted” sticker. To the polls, people!
— Sean Spicer (@seanspicer) November 6, 2018
SOMETHING YOU KNOW: President Trump is in his final blitz of campaigning and early morning tweeting.
SOMETHING YOU MAY HAVE MISSED: Surprise! Barack Obama drummed up support for Senator Tim Kaine and state Senator Jennifer Wexton in Virginia yesterday.
And now for something completely different:
Maybe HQ2 isn’t a place after all, maybe it’s more a state of mind. Amazon plans to split its second headquarters between two locations in the American heartland–Crystal City and Long Island City, New York–according to the New York Times.
The former editor of Capitol File magazine was in the final (arguably clumsy and rushed) season of House of Cards. Here’s why. You also may have blinked and missed a cameo by local barbecue joint Federalist Pig and faux TV spots from Wolf Blitzer and Jim Acosta.
What we have cooking at Washingtonian:
- Mark Judge has found new support from an anti-gay crowdfunding site, which has raised over $100,000 to help Judge “rebuild his life” post-Kavanaugh news cycle.
- The New York Times election needle is back, and we got a psychiatrist to explain why people still dread even thinking about it.
- Solidcore plans on selling…in a couple of years, according to Anne Mahlum. Read more about her ambitious plans.
- Is there a way to finally solve the DC statehood problem once and for all? David Krucoff thinks so. And how is he going to do it? With a little thing called retrocession.
Our pick for things to do around town:
MUSIC British electronic music duo The Orb pioneered the ambient house subgenre in the late 1980s. They’re celebrating their 30th anniversary with a show at U Street Music Hall; expect them to play some of their classic atmospheric chill-out music as well as songs from their newest album, No Sounds Are Out of Bounds. $20-$25, 10 PM.
Let’s take a break from politics:
- Idris Elba is People’s Sexiest Man Alive. Elba for James Bond 2019, please. (Washington Post)
- Canada has its own “hot duck” but refuses to brag about it. (The Cut)
- A student group at George Washington University lobbied for the school’s inaugural “First Generation Student Week” which began yesterday. (GW Hatchet)
Big events from Washingtonian
Look, more distraction from midterms coverage: We’re bringing back our series in which locals track the food they eat, the money they spend, and other activities they enjoy over the course of a weekend (we don’t want any trouble with spam filters, so you’ll have to click this link for more details). Email firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to me directly if you’re interested in learning more and submitting. (And check out some of my fav past submissions.) (PS—JOURNALISTS, YOU CANNOT SUBMIT ONE OF THESE.)
If your can make your dog an Instagram, you can submit your pup for DC’s cutest dog contest.
Let’s drink whiskey together! Our annual Whiskey & Fine Spirits is Thursday, November 15. Head to Union Market’s Dock 5 for a festive evening of tasting whiskey, bourbon, gin, vodka, rum, tequila, and more. Tickets are selling fast, but you can still score some here. For the loyal Washingtonian Today readers, here’s a 10 percent discount code just for you: POURITUP
Would you like to get this post emailed to you (or your office nemesis) every morning? Sign up! It’s free and good for you.