Truth: While muffins make for a nice snack or breakfast, they’re not likely to leave you full for long.
That is, unless they’re like this protein-packed version I discovered via Delicious in a Dash one night when I was craving something sweet. It uses three main ingredients any runner typically has on hand: bananas, peanut butter, and oatmeal.
Just one muffin will give you a boost of energy just before a run or workout, and they’re a great grab-and-go snack when you’re in a rush.
Serving size: Makes 12 muffins
Nutrition per serving: 196 calories, 4.8 grams fat, 178 milligrams sodium, 223.8 milligrams potassium, 39.4 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 5.3 grams protein.
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup old-fashioned oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
⅓ cup peanut butter
2 medium overripe bananas
1 large egg
⅔ cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cups milk
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3) In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and beat in peanut butter and egg. Add brown sugar, vanilla, and milk and stir until combined.
4) Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
5) Fill muffin cups with batter.
6) Bake 15 to 18 minutes.