About Washingtonian Today
Washingtonian Today is not just another political news roundup. Instead, this daily morning brief provides local context on national news, catches you up on what’s happening at Washingtonian, points you toward super duper awesome things to do around town, and lets you in on some special events going on in-house. Sign up here to receive Washingtonian Today in your inbox every morning.
Good Monday morning, Washingtonians. I know, I’m sorry, too. I hope you got a lot of shut-eye because it’s bound to be a busy week. This weekend was no different. The city shut down in preparation for what turned out to be a smattering of white supremacists; Omarosa revealed she secretly recorded John Kelly in the situation room; Dan Rather says it’s amateur-hour at the White House; Metro urges commuters to avoid the Blue, Orange, and Silver lines due to extensive single-tracking; and prepare for more PM showers and storms. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more through the day.
Today’s free fitness class, by Kim Olsen:
Meet at Caboose Brewing Company for Trails and Ales, a fun run led by Joann of Grass Roots Fitness and DC Capital Striders. You’ll hit the nearby W&OD Trail for a three- to five-mile, all-paces jaunt, followed by dollar-off beers at the brewery (for runners). Check here for updates on possible cancellation due to forecasted storms, and sign up here. 520 Mill St., NE., Vienna.
It’s a plan! Let’s catch up, shall we?
• You might be inclined to ignore white supremacists when they come to town. And sure, there’s an argument for why that might be prudent. But former congressman Tom Perriello has other ideas.
EXPOSE THE NAZIS
• Amid massive track maintenance and general suckiness, Metro will open a new station in Virginia. There have, unsurprisingly, been some kinks.
THE PROBLEM WITH POTOMAC YARD
• Prominent white nationalist Richard Spencer has left Old Town Alexandria.
• Axios finally settles the pronunciation of its name, to the glee of newsletter readers everywhere.
• The parents of Brett Kavanaugh‘s basketball team have something to say to Senate Judiciary.
Stephen Miller is a hypocrite on immigration, according to his uncle. Harsh. (Politico)
Inside Putin‘s billionaire’s club. (The Daily Beast)
Omarosa released another tape, this time of her and President Trump. (Huffington Post)
I guess Don Jr.‘s a thing in political circles? (Washington Post)
Take a break…
Please stop everything you’re doing and read this Elle profile of Omarosa. (Spoiler, the term “Momarosa” is used.)
News from home:
Become your boss’s favorite and submit your office for Washingtonian’s Best Places to Work feature.
Pre-sale ticket packages for Taste of Georgetown are on sale now. Think of the all the snacks.