Open House Blog > Home Design & Shopping
Freshening Up Your Bedroom? Here’re 5 Summery Ideas From Solis Betancourt & Sherrill
The DC design duo inspires with punchy patterns and layers of texture in their new installation at Timothy Paul Bedding + Home.
When we need inspiration, one of our favorite places to duck into is Timothy Paul Bedding + Home, an impeccably curated boutique of bedding, linens, pillows, and home accessories in Logan Circle. A few times each year, Timothy Paul invites a designer to create a beautiful bedroom vignette to inspire their customers. Last week, they feted the latest installation by designers José Solís Betancourt and Paul Sherrill of the DC-based firm Solis Betancourt & Sherrill, and we took a firsthand look at the carefree, summery space. We think it’s a great tutorial on how to mix cheerful patterns and colors, as well as how to elevate a bed from a practical necessity to a gorgeous focal point.
Here are a few ideas we’ve gathered on how to copy Betancourt and Sherrill’s bedroom’s fresh, happy vibe:
• Start with a neutral background. Betancourt and Sherrill used a white bedspread and a solid headboard, and then selected accents in different colors and textures to spice things up.
• Stripes are a summer staple. In this design, they appear in three places: in the pillows, on the folded comforter, and on the throw on the bench at the foot of the bed. All of them contrast nicely against the suzani and block-print florals.
• Unify patterns by selecting common colors. While different patterns are used, they share the blue, green and white color scheme.
• Draping a colorful fabric over your existing headboard instantly transforms the look. If you don’t have a headboard suitable for this treatment, consider adding temporary color by hanging a textile behind the bed, or follow the lead of Betancourt and Sherrill and paint the wall behind the bed in a strong accent color.
• Don’t stop with your bed. Notice how the designers pulled the colors and patterns from the bed out into the room by placing
pillows and throws on furniture.
Bedroom Installation Sources:
Bedding: John Robshaw and Area
Decorative pillow on bed: John Robshaw
Pillows on chair and settee: Timothy Paul Home
Throw on bench: Brahms Mount
Rugs: Timothy Paul Home
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Open House Blog