Shop Around Blog > Hair & Beauty|Hair & Makeup
4 Steps to No-Melt Summer Makeup
A local makeup artist shares her top tips for avoiding this warm-weather pitfall.
Makeup meltdown: pretty much inevitable in the face of Washington’s sticky summers, right? Not necessarily—if you employ the right tricks, that is. We asked local makeup expert Victoria Stiles—whose impressive résumé includes gigs with top magazines, runway shows, and celebs, plus tons of weddings—to share her go-to techniques for keeping makeup fresh when you feel anything but. Read on for her foolproof plan of attack, plus a few of her favorite hot-weather products.
1) Clean: “We need to create a smooth foundation for our makeup in order for it to stay on all day, especially in the summer heat,” says Stiles. She recommends beginning with an oil-control cleanser, such as her personal fave, Neutrogena’s Rapid Clear Oil Control Foaming Cleanser ($6.79 at Ulta).
2) Moisturize: Once you’ve cleaned your skin, double down on the oil control with a moisturizer designed to do just that. Stiles’s pick? MAC’s Oil Control Lotion ($31 at MAC). “It leaves the skin feeling soft and silky, not heavy, and preps the skin for long-wear makeup that will not melt off in the humidity,” she says.
3) Prime: Stiles applies Urban Decay’s best-selling Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20 at Urban Decay) from lash line to brow in order to create a base shadows can adhere to. Then she follows up with a waterproof mascara, such as L’Oréal’s Voluminous Million Lashes Waterproof ($8.99 at Walgreens).
4) Stain: “For cheeks and lips, try a stain versus a powder blush and creamy lipstick. Staining cheeks and lips will last longer,” Stiles says. A staple in her kit: Stila’s Cherry Crush Lip and Cheek Stain ($24 at Sephora).
more from Washingtonian
- Most Read in Shop Around Blog
- From the Magazine
- Dining Out
- More from Shop Around Blog