Furloughed Washingtonians, put down the remote. There’s no need to binge-watch season one of House of Cards while throwing things at furlough-free federal figure Francis Underwood (believe me when I say if I could use more alliteration in that sentence, I would). Arts and entertainment providers all over town are offering free and cut-price tickets to shows and other events, from Steve Aoki with Pharrell Williams at Merriweather to Miss Saigon at Signature Theatre. Below, a quick roundup—we’ll keep adding to it as we hear more, so check back in.
9:30 Club/Lincoln Theatre/Merriweather/U Street Music Hall
The 9:30 Club and friends are offering “buy one get one free” tickets for the following I.M.P. shows until 11:59 PM tonight. Use the promo code 930ATA. Yes, you can also use this code if you aren’t a furloughed federal employee because it’s a general promotion, not a buyoff.
- Marky Ramone’s Blitzkrieg with Andrew W.K. on vocals, October 2, 9:30 Club.
- Chazz Palminteri’s A Bronx Tale, October 3, Lincoln Theatre.
- BOY, October 3, 9:30 Club.
- Middle Distance Runner, October 4, U Street Music Hall.
- The Flaming Lips and Tame Impala, October 4, Merriweather.
- Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, October 5, 9:30 Club.
- Soul Asylum and Fountains of Wayne (with Evan Dando!!!), October 9, 9:30 Club.
- Lee Fields and the Expressions, October 17, 9:30 Club.
- Steve Aoki with Pharrell Williams, October 25, Merriweather.
This one is for people with a federal ID only. Get free entry to the following shows when you flash it at the box office.
- Big Boi, October 2.
- Take 6, October 4.
- Alice Russell, October 5.
- And get 50 percent off tickets to the following show:
- Rufus featuring Sly Stone, October 6.
- Bill Engvall, Octover 6.
- Sutton Foster, October 12.
- Les Violons du Roy with Stephanie Blythe, October 15.
- Dianne Reeves, October 18.
For one week only, anyone can get a 50 percent discount on tickets to Odysseo, Cavalia’s totally bonkers/awesome fusion of acrobatics and equine arts.
Washington Performing Arts Society
Federal employees can buy $10 tickets to the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis performance at the Kennedy Center October 6. Call 202-785-9727 or use the code FED10 online.
Federal employees can get $30 tickets to select fall shows at the box office or by calling the ticket desk at 202-488-3300.
Round House Theatre
The company is offering a “2-for-1 shutdown special” on This at Round House Bethesda and Dog and Pony DC’s repertory performances of Beertown and A Killing Game at Round House Silver Spring. You must present a federal ID or a notice of furlough at the box office.
Signature is offering free pairs of tickets to Miss Saigon for furloughed employees. The deal runs all this week as long as the government’s closed, and is valid for any performance through Sunday. Just show your federal ID at the box office.
Buy one ticket this weekend and get another free if you show your government ID at the ticket desk. And you can also use your ID to get 50 percent off drip coffee at Tryst, the museum’s cafe.
National Building Museum
Get free admission until the end of the shutdown when you show your government ID at the ticket desk.
Corcoran Gallery of Art
The Corcoran is offering federal employees a buy one, get one free deal on admission for the duration of the government shutdown.
National Museum of Women in the Arts
Federal employees can get free admission through the shutdown with ID; anyone else can get 20 percent off by mentioning the #Art4AllDC promotion through October 6.
National Geographic Museum
The museum is giving federal employees free admission through the duration of the government shutdown.