6. Besides cheap drinks ($2 Coronas and Miller Lite drafts), Union Jack’s British Pub in Bethesda gives away three tropical vacations every Friday between 5 and 8. You can actually get to the Caribbean if the carnival isn’t enough.
7. Bueller? Bueller? Okay, well, you’ll do . . . . Head over to Tingey Plaza Thursday night to catch Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, part of Capitol Riverfront’s free outdoor movie series. If the movie, cheap drinks, and nice weather don’t do it for you, there’ll be free Slinkies!
8. A favorite elementary-school pastime is all grown up with Recess, which combines drinks, board games, and partying. This Saturday, you’re invited to the cool kid’s house as Aloft Washington National Harbor Hotel hosts the night at its fancy place on the water. Tickets are $10. Get them here.
9. Bring your dog to the Montgomery County Historical Society for a pet expo on Sunday. You and Fido can try your hand (and paw?) at arts and crafts and take a walking tour of Rockville. A professional photographer will be on hand to snap a keepsake. All of the activities are free.
10. Help out a good cause at Cocktails Without Borders, a fundraiser for Doctors Without Borders on Friday night at Josephine. Entrance is $10 in advance ($20 at the door), with drink specials all night.
A bonus on this week’s list: Weezer and a newly reunited Blink-182 headline this year’s Virgin Fest at Merriweather Post Pavilion on August 30. It’s not this weekend, but if you want to go to the area’s biggest festival, you’ll have to be up early this Saturday to snag the free tickets—35,000 are available. Make sure you’re on Ticketmaster.com at 10 AM. Girl Talk, the National, and local favorite Wale are also on the bill.
More>> After Hours Blog | Arts & Events | Happy Hour Finder | Calendar of Events