4. It might be too late for Vancouver, but those wishing to get a head start in training for the 2014 Olympics should head to the Hilton Garden Inn (815 14th St., NW) on Friday for the USA Olympic Curling Expo between 6 and 9. The free event features four curling sheets laid out for attendees to practice sliding the regulation 42-pound stones from one spot to another. Olympic curling events will be televised live in the ballrooms and lobby lounge, and demonstration videos and lessons will be offered as well.
5. Did you know that hula-hooping for just ten minutes a day can burn up to 100 calories? Neither did we, but hoopers (and those curious to see what the fuss is about) can twist it up on Friday from 7 to 9 as the Atlas Performing Arts Center (1333 H St., NE) hosts Hoop Jam. This informal soiree is a way to meet other hoopers and try the exercise for free. No experience is necessary, and hoops will be provided to those who don’t bring their own. For more information, click here.
6. Thaw off from the cold by sweating your face off at Liberation Dance Party on Friday at DC9 starting at 9. Rock out to the hottest indie rock and dance jams while videos play overhead at this $7 event. The open bar (rail cocktails only) is from 9 to 10:30, so come early! Must be 21 or older.
7. Relive the exhilaration of the 2008 presidential election on Saturday at the Lincoln Theatre with a free screening of Marching Band from 6 to 8:30. Directed by French filmmaker Claude Miller, the movie captures the spirit of Obama’s rise to the presidency by focusing on the marching bands at the University of Virginia and Virginia State. To receive free tickets, RSVP here. Tickets are $5 at the door.
8. What do you get when you mix Chuck E. Cheese with a cocktail bar and eliminate those terrifying mechanical animal bands? Galaxy Recess! At the Sheraton National Hotel (900 South Orme St., Arlington) on Saturday from 9 PM to 1 AM, adults get to play games (Nintendo Wii, Twister, Uno, Taboo, foosball, air hockey, and many more), move to a DJ, enjoy a cash bar, and take in sweeping views of the Mall for just $10. To purchase tickets, click here.
9. Gay-friendly revelers and their friends will be pleased to know that it’s time for the monthly dance party, Mixtape, on Saturday at the Rock & Roll Hotel. DJs Matt Bailer and Shea Van Horn will be spinning a soundtrack of ’80s new wave, disco, house, electronic, and alt-pop beats. The cover is $5, and guests must be 21 and older. The party starts at 10 and goes until 3 AM.
10. Sunday is your last chance to ring in the Chinese lunar new year at Lakeforest Mall in Gaithersburg. From noon to 5, guests can see exhibits about Confucius and displays about Chinese art and culture as well as enjoy live dances and entertainment.
Subscribe to Washingtonian
Follow Washingtonian on Twitter
More>> After Hours Blog | Arts & Events | Happy Hour Finder | Calendar of Events