Chelsea Clinton, walked down the aisle by Bill Clinton. Photographed by Genevieve de Manio.
1. As a wedding gift to his betrothed, Martha Wayles, Thomas Jefferson ordered a mahogany forte-piano that was to be “worthy the acceptance of a lady for whom I intend it.” [National Women’s History Museum]
2. Caroline Kennedy wore a gown by Carolina Herrera at her wedding to Edwin Schlossberg in 1986. The designer and her husband were said to have attended the ceremony themselves. [New York Times]
3. Though Barack Obama was invited to Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s wedding, he declined to attend. [Washington Post]
4. When Jenna Bush, daughter of George W. Bush and Laura Bush, wed Henry Hager in 2008, she wore a gown by Oscar de la Renta that the designer had picked out for her himself. [Today News]
Richard Nixon with his daughter, Tricia, on her wedding day. Image courtesy Library of Congress.
5. At Richard Nixon’s daughter, Patricia (Tricia) Nixon’s wedding to Edward Finch Cox in 1971, the cake was seven feet tall to feed all the guests--and the 600 journalists in attendance. [Today Weddings]
Many celebrities like to guard the specifics of their big day; details are typically hush-hush, and photos are scarce. Which is why we especially dig Kaley Cuoco’s very welcome overshare. The Big Bang Theory star tied the knot with tennis pro Ryan Sweeting on New Year’s Eve, and has since released photos of her pink Vera Wang gown, the insane upside-down chandelier wedding cake, and the whimsical groom’s cake.
But our favorite is this video from Cuoco’s makeup artist Jamie Greenberg. Not only does the cute vid offer a behind-the-scenes look at Cuoco’s wedding preparation, but it also details the exact products she used, which—surprisingly—are totally affordable. Watch the video below for the breakdown of the look.
The new year has already been a good one for two fashion darlings, who both got engaged over the holidays. Socialite and former reality television star Olivia Palermo will wed model Johannes Huebl—news they announced with the cutest Instagram video (possibly a new wedding trend?). And actress and fashionista Jamie Chung got engaged to actor/singer Bryan Greenberg after almost two years of dating. Obviously the biggest question on our fashion-obsessed minds is: What will these two stylish ladies wear on their wedding days? We turned to their best red carpet moments to inform our fashion predictions.
Olivia soared at the 2011 British Fashion Awards in this plumed number. We can see her rocking the trend again, but in a sleeveless style, for her big day. We love this flirty shift from Carolina Herrera.
Stumped about what song to select for that perfect first dance on your big day? Take some inspiration from celebrities who’ve tied the knot and—amazingly—are still together. While some, like Beyoncé, chose a song from their own greatest hits repertoire, others opted for tried-and-true classics, as well as more unexpected tunes. Scroll down for 15 of our favorite songs and add them to your wedding playlist.