As we settle into the dog days of summer–Washington’s swampiest months–it can start to infringe on you and your guests’ enjoyment of your outdoor wedding festivities. But have no fear–there’s plenty of ways to keep everyone cool and entertained along the way. Here’s 15 ideas you can try right now.
1. Help them stay cool with ceremony programs that double as fans.
2. Or just have a basket full of handheld fans nearby for guests to grab before they find their seats.
3. Plan on parasols for your bridesmaids so they can carry shade with them during the outdoor portraits.
4. Don’t wait for cocktail hour to serve some cooling beverages.
5. For an outdoor ceremony, leave custom sunglasses on every seat for guests to wear during the “I do’s.”
6. And offer handkerchiefs for happy tears—or mopping up sweat, as the case may be.
7. During cocktail hour, keep everyone hydrated with a flavored water bar.
8. And serve up crisp watermelon slices instead of hot hors d’oeuvres.
9. Offer up lawn games to keep your guests’ minds off the summer heat.
10. Supply flip-flops for the dance floor to keep it cool and casual.
11. And whatever you do—don’t forget the citronella candles to keep away mosquitos.
12. Bring by Pleasant Pops for a frozen treat.
13. Or Captain Cookie for some ice cream sandwiches.
14. Or just pass ice cream bars on a bed of ice.
15. End the night on a sweet note: roasting s’mores over a summer bonfire after dark.